Friday, September 16, 2011

Did you know that photographers have a life outside photography?

Is a doctor, a doctor 24 hours a day of his life? Is a dentist a dentist 24 hours of his life? Is a mechanic a mechanic 24 hours of his life? I surely hope (for their sakes) that they answer with a profound "NO!". We photographers have a life outside photography. Not everything we do revolves around photography (well most of the time it does but still). Some have other jobs, others like to have different hobbies, and others just lay around and play video games and watch movies like regular people. I know of some that even go out on dates and go out to dinner.

My personal life outside photography involves being with my wife, and two cats. I like to play video games (cant wait for Gears of War 3), but most of the time I do something that I treat as much of a passion as I do when I am out photographing. And that is bike riding. I love it with a passion, and can't get enough of it.

This is Clementine. She was born on April 26, 2011 at Big Poppi Bycicle Co. hospital, and I love her to death. (picture taken with my phone)
 I usually ride every day, at least 11 miles around the beautiful linear trail around Manhattan, KS. And a couple of days ago I had the courage to go in the mountain bike trail near the Linear Trail, and my love for this bike went up 10 fold. She loved it too, even tho I had to give her a bath afterwards. But there is nothing more soothing than the sound of your tires on dirt. There is a great saying by Louis J. Helle, Jr. and it says "Bicycling is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds. The airplane simply carries a man on its back like an obedient Pegasus; it gives him no wings of his own."and I cant be more in agreement to that statement. It relaxes the mind, it soothes the soul, it is heaven in vehicle form. I have even gotten some great ideas for photo sessions (which I have not done yet) while riding Clementine. And there is nothing better than conquering a mountain or the elements and finishing up a ride with that accomplished feeling.

But with the coming of winter I will be riding my bike less and less everyday around Manhattan. But to my surprise (and Google's awesome engine) I found out about indoor trainers, so no need to stop cycling even if the snow is 4 feet high outside. The only difference will be that I won't have the beautiful scenery. So I'll be going to the bike store and get me one of these things, so now not even the weather can get between me, my bike, and the awesomeness of the ride (even if it is in my garage). After all, I spend less money on gas, about $65 a month, so the bike actually payed for itself. Also I am losing weight since I got it, around 65 lbs, since April 26, 2011, so that is a big plus. The least I could do is keep on enjoying it, right?

But like I said, photographers are not photographers 24 hours of the day (well at least we try not to be), and we are just like regular people. I happen to be the kind that loves riding his bike. I have yet to mix both, well I did it once and loved it (click here for the images). But I want to mix it a little more, but I am kind of scared of riding in my back with a 5D Mark II on a backpack. So untill I buy a point and shoot I might have to pospone that mixture.

If you like bike riding, and/or are interested in it you should definetely check out Big Poppi Bycicle Co. in Aggieville, Manhattan, KS. They are awesome.





No comments:

Post a Comment